How to Make Mini Blueberry Lemon Galettes — From Scratch!
Forget pie — this recipe will have you saying, it’s "as easy as galette."
If warm and gooey blueberries encased in a flaky, buttery pie crust sounds like a must-have on your autumn menu, look no further. Homemade galettes — flat, round French pastries with filling in the center — have all the bells and whistles of your favorite cold-season dessert. And here's the kicker: You won't have to buy and store a bulky pre-made pie dish.
This simple recipe shares how to easily break free from the store-bought pie crust and make your own from scratch. Sure, you can still substitute it with your favorite frozen grocery store puff pastry if you’re on a time crunch. But this recipe is so easy, you probably won't want to. These instructions will make 6 personal sized galettes, and can easily be halved for smaller households. Perfect for the holidays, galettes can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, and can also double as morning pastries to enjoy with coffee, if you're feeling bold.
1 cup cold butter, sliced or cut into cubes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
16oz fresh blueberries
1/3 cup sugar-2 TBSP cornstarch
Zest of 1 lemon
Egg wash from 1 egg
Extra sugar for coating
SHOP: Gold Touch Sheet Pan, $29.95, available at
SHOP: Pastry Blender, $9.99, available at
SHOP: Stainless Steel Fine Grater, $19.99, available at
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the cold butter to the bowl and stir 'til the butter is covered in the mixture. Take a pastry blender and cut the butter into the mixture, until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Make a well in the center of the mixture, and pour cold buttermilk into center to make a shaggy dough.
3. Divide up the dough into 6 equal parts, and flatten each piece into a flat disc.
4. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to overnight.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest in a bowl. Toss in the blueberries and mix 'til the berries are covered in the mixture.
3. Roll out each disc into a 9-inch circle. (These don't need to be exact or even.)
4. Spoon even amounts of the blueberry mixture into the center of the circle, then fold up the dough around the filling. Place each galette on the baking sheets.
5. Brush each galette with egg wash.
6. Sprinkle sugar on the crust of each one.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
8. Serve warm with ice cream, and enjoy!